Sunday, March 1, 2009

Understanding the crisis on our hands

This past weekend, the youth group of the church I attend participated in World Vision's 30 hour famine. While I want to say everything was smooth sailing because of God's power, I will say likewise. God's strength did help me overcome the feeling of hunger for those 30 hours, but not for those who struggle simply to find clean water to drink. My heart was so saddened this weekend, yet strengthened because I realize what I have to do to save the 26,000 kids that die everyday because of things like hunger. We can sit here at home, go to the fridge, look in it, and complain because we "don't like" what is in it. Kids in third world countries would absolutely have a ball at even the simplest of things in our refrigerators. I feel so bad about the way I have lived my life until this point, wasting food, complaining about the food I DO HAVE, complaining I don't have enough food, just those types things. The 30 Hour Famine has really opened my eyes to what is really going on in poverty stricken countries, and I want to do something about it. I have already put it on myself to waste no more food on my plates, not complain because some of my family's food is not my favorite, donate stuff to our local food shelter, and lastly pray. That is the most simple, but yet most powerful way of providing. God will provide for those. In closing, instead of a regular bible verse, I would like you to read the story of my team's(Bolivia) child. Her name is Beatriz.

My Health:
I am malnourished because my meals are mostly wheat. It's the only thing we can grow on our farm. I almost never get protein like fish or chicken. My parents can't afford to buy nutritious food to keep me healthy, so I am hungry all the time.

My Village:
My home is high in the chilly Andes Mountains. My village is small, and it is a very long walk to the next village. Sometimes when it snows or rains for a while, we are cut off from other people. This can be frightening when we run out of things that are rare, like medicines.

My Family:
I live with my mother and father. I had three sisters, but the youngest died when she was very small. My mama says it was from the bad water she drank when Claudia was in her tummy. She helps my father on the farm a lot, so I have to take care of my younger sisters.

My School:
Our school fell down when an earthquake came. Our village cannot build another one, so my sisters and I do not go to school. My parents never learned how to read or write, but I hope someday I can learn to read like my uncle who lives far away in a big town.

My Country:
Bolivia is a beautiful place- we have the Andes Mountains and one of the highest lakes in the world. Our country has lots of natural resources, but it is still one of the poorest in all of South America. Most of our people work very as hard farmers, traders, or folk artists, but make very little money.

Please pray for little Beatriz, and all the other children like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment